Sunday 15 January 2012

sunday's hot topic.

And it truly is a hot topic...

Glamour Modelling.

I was recently discussing publishing internships with one of my best friends over dinner and she told me that one of her female friends had interned at Nuts and found it difficult. This got me thinking about the topic of glamour modelling as a whole.

A few months ago, I nearly choked with rage on my lunch as I heard the 'Loose Women' move from the subject of the rape issue with that horrendous quote about how women should not 'dress like sluts' to avoid being raped swiftly onto glamour modelling and how it also exploits women and shows them as a piece of meat.

One, I felt it was disgusting how they had obviously deliberately tried to merge the two subjects. Let me get one thing straight first of all, I was sickened by the fact that some comments were made that were almost in agreement with that women should dress more conservatively for their own safety. My response to this is HELL NO. This is 2012, women and men are treated as equals in almost every way so why the hell should we be encouraged to cover ourselves up because certain me have no self-control? Rape is a horrendous crime of which the justice procedures need to be tightened rapidly.

We're not saying to businessmen, change into your hoodies and trackies on your way home from work and it's less likely that someone will rob your iPad, are we? And that's because it's recognised that the crime is wrong regardless. I could have literally thrown my jacket potato at the TV screen when I had to endure them banging on about how the way some women dress for a night out is inticing and leads men on. So I will leave it on this note, when I'm in a club, drunk and see a 6ft 2 welsh beauty wearing a ridiculously low-cut All Saints t-shirt with gorgeous bulging arms poking through and teasing me, is it then okay for me to go over and sexually attack him because his attire led me on?? I rest my case.

Back to glamour modelling, I think it's time that we dispersed this whole attitude that glamour models are exploited. Hundreds of thousands of girls are queining up to be glamour models these days and I hate that some people think of glamour modelling as if it's some kind of prostitution. How is it so different to normal modelling? Backstage at fashion shows, models run around naked and are often shot wearing next to nothing...the only difference is the target market.

Another thing that I have recently thought is that the average fashion model is a size 4-8 (American size zero), they have to remain that way if they want to do catwalk and there is a ridiculous amount of pressure on them to stay skinny for that regemented typical 'supermodel' look. Now flicking through the pages of Nuts/Zoo who opt for the more 'girl next door look', I see girls of all shapes and sizes - some with big boobs, some with big bums and lots of nice curvy, healthy looking figures. I have a few friends who have been in Nuts and they have got beautiful figures, none of them looking starved to within an inch of their lives, ranging from a healthy size 8 to a beautiful size 12 and I tell you what, I would much rather have their curvacious bodies gracing my pages than gaunt, pointy model-types.

Also, none of them were forced at gunpoint to strip down to their underwear in front of a camera. It's a job; they've all got stable boyfriends who love them, are all extremely intelligent girls with their heads screwed on who absolutely love their jobs and who can blame them? I, like most other girls my age, have suffered massively from confidence and insecurity issues and it's nice to know that there are people out there who like you as you are. One of my friends refused to lose weight for a shoot and continues to be booked up as a curvy size 12 and she gets so many comments from women who she has inspired for doing so. Another was bullied at school because of her beautiful lips and they are now one of her best-selling features as a model.

My point is that I'm sick of reading about glamour models getting so much stick for no reason and I genuinely think that a lot of it is jealousy. I genuinely find it comforting sometimes to see pictures of girls with beautiful curves who are confident in their bodies because why shouldn't you flaunt it? I'm sure they've all had their insecurities and I would much rather see a healthy-looking girl in her underwear than a size zero model wearing a dress that I'll never be able to afford in my life but that's just me.

Haters: give glamour models a break and do not assume that they're all being exploited/uneducated. Don't be jel, be reem.

If you've got it, flaunt it and if you can get paid for it...even better!

Very interested to hear your views on this one though. @candiloveslove #glamourmodelling


mwah. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment