Monday 20 February 2012

Insecurity.

So I'm back.

It's been a hectic month so apologies for the neglect. I hope you're all well and no broken limbs from the brief snowy stint. So much to share since I've been away but I'll start of with a subject that's really been getting my goat lately, one that I don't talk about very often but I think definitely needs to be discussed more...

So we've all seen this floating around facebook, right?


We hear the argument all the time but we all know that naturally as time moves on, trends change and more often than not what used to be desirable isn't anymore. That's just the way it goes.

However, recently I really have started to wonder if it's all gone a little bit too far?

The interesting thing is that it seems as a nation, sometimes the lines between what we think we want to see and the reality become blurred because if I asked you all if you'd prefer to see:- (a) a stick-thin supermodel type or (b) a curvy real-girl in the magazines, I can almost guarantee that I know the majority answer.

So why is it more often than not as soon as we're faced with it in reality, we can't handle it?

Take the new Ann Summers model for instance:

When size-16 student Lucy won the Real Girls modelling competition, these pictures caused complete uproar. Within minutes, keyboard warriors were scrawling foul abuse, calling her a "fat c***" amongst other disgusting comments and shop windows were graffitied with abuse over her picture.

But take a minute to have a look at the actual photograph. I don't know what you see but I see a girl who yes, looks different to our typical stereotypical underwear model but I see a curvy girl with gorgeous hair, beautiful skin, great boobs and an all-round good shape. So she hasn't got washboard abs? How many of us bloody have without the luxury of an £100 an hour personal trainer?! She looks no different to girls we see walking past us in the street day in, day out so it is a real shame that stereotypical barriers and expectations cannot be lowered enough just to accept and embrace the refreshing difference.

Because in my opinion that's exactly what it is, difference.
It's not as simple as being fat or being thin anymore and neither one is right or wrong.
It's about embracing the difference and accepting it.

Us girls beat ourselves up enough about insecurities without having to see every girl brave enough to have a bit of meat on her bones get shot down and tormented.


I mean, look at Adele. 6 Grammy awards, probably the most successful female singer/songwriter to come out of Britain this decade yet the Creative Director of Chanel pipes up calling her 'a litttle too fat.' An epic fail, if ever I've heard one.

Luckily our belle Adele came back fighting and made some comments which I think are pretty damn inspirational, I must say. In her recent interview with People, she explained that her recent weight loss is only due to illness and gave old Laggers the two fingers but chiping:

'I've never wanted to look like models on the cover of magazines. I represent the majority of women and I'm very proud of that.

'I don't want to be some skinny mini with my t*** out. I really don't want to do it and I don't want people confusing what it is that I'm about.

I enjoy being me; I always have done. I’ve seen people where it rules their lives, you know, who want to be thinner or have bigger boobs, and how it wears them down. And I just don’t want that in my life.

It’s just never been an issue – at least, I’ve never hung out with the sort of horrible people who make it an issue.

I have insecurities of course, but I don’t hang out with anyone who points them out to me.'

I just love that and I think she makes such valid points about how sometimes we spend so long being caught up in our insecurity net, wishing things away that sometimes life starts to pass us by.

I know I've personally spent most of my teenage/adult life picking faults in myself and getting overcome by insecurity. The thing with insecurity is that if you get caught in the negative little bubble of hate then you eventually completely lose sight of all of the good and more often than not it's the things that make you different that make you beautiful.

It's taken me up until very recently to start to come to terms with my (many) flaws. Sometimes I have a complete mise then I just think to myself 'Snap the hell out of it and deal with it!' Jerk chicken is in my bloody genes and I've had big boobs and thighs since I was about 12 - pretty sure they're here for the long haul now!

It's funny because each and every one of my friends has completely different insecurities from their height to their boobs/bums and genuinely, I think the features that they're insecure about are those which make them stand out.

At the end of the day, it is what it is and we are who we are.
If you can't change it, embrace it!
Us girls need to stick together.

Nasty body jibes are expected of silly little boys who the closest they've got to a real woman is their blow-up doll but not from girlies because when it comes to insecurities, let's be honest - we all have them!

Bring back girl power, that's what I say...

mwah. xo



TODAY'S POLL
Do you think Karl Lagerfeld was entitled to comment on Adele's weight?






No comments:

Post a Comment